Caroline joined the firm in 2018, bringing over 15 years of transactional real estate and business experience in both private practice and as in-house counsel for a local real estate development and business brokerage firm. She represents real estate developers, builders, and business owners with contract formation and the acquisition, divestment, development, and leasing of commercial real property, and with real estate issues in business mergers and acquisitions.
Prior to joining Jimerson & Cobb, Caroline practiced law with Pappas Metcalf Jenks & Miller, P.A. where she worked on a wide variety of commercial real estate projects, including working with developers to acquire raw land for development as single-family, multi-family, and mixed-use projects; performing due diligence for acquisitions, including title examination; preparing purchase and sale agreements and closing documents for multi-million dollar transactions; working with developers and engineers in the permitting process; creating owners’ associations, including preparing and filing applications for both new condominiums and condominium conversion projects with the Division of Florida Condominiums; and assisting developers in the sale of lots to builders.
From 2006-2011, Caroline was in-house counsel for Merrimac Capital Corporation, a business brokerage and development firm that invested in real estate and corporate ventures in Florida and the Southeast. There, she analyzed the feasibility of projects from an investment perspective, drafted operating agreements for investment entities, and managed various real estate projects. Specifically, her projects included an apartment complex that was converted to condominiums, a franchised long-term stay hotel, raw land that the firm rezoned and permitted for residential development, and a residential subdivision that the firm purchased out of foreclosure. In that project, Caroline worked with engineers to confirm hardscape permit compliance, assisted in capital negotiations with investors and lenders, worked with builders to market the community, and served as President of the Homeowners Association until the project was complete and she turned control over to the homeowners.
Immediately prior to joining Jimerson and Cobb, Caroline was a professor at Florida Coastal School of Law in Jacksonville where she taught a wide array of courses, including Property I, Property II, Real Estate Transactions, and Transactional Drafting. While at Florida Coastal, Caroline also served as the Chair of Curriculum and Academics Committee, served on Faculty Development and Promotion Committee and the Bar Preparation Committee, and was a three-time nominee for the Faculty Vision Award.
Caroline is a Jacksonville native and a graduate of the Bolles School. Her husband, Gene, also is a Jacksonville native and one of the founding partners of Nichols & Pina, LLLP, a law firm that specializes in criminal defense, personal injury, and family law. Caroline and Gene live in Ortega Forest with their twin children, a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, an English Setter, and two guinea pigs. In her free time, Caroline enjoys trying new restaurants, experimenting in the kitchen, long walks, reading, and learning about medieval British history.
Bar and Court Admissions
- The Florida Bar
- The Jacksonville Bar Association
- University of Georgia, School of Law, JD, cum laude
- The College of William & Mary
- Bachelor of Arts, English Language and Literature, cum laude
- Bachelor of Arts, French Language and Literature
The Jacksonville Bar Association
- Environmental and Real Property Law Committee
Urban Land Institute
- Center for Leadership Task Force
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church
- Christian Formation class leader, 2002-present
- Vestry Member, January, 2011 – January, 2014
- Strategic Planning Committee, Fall, 2011 – Spring, 2013
- Lay Director of Christian Formation, 2007 – 2009
St. Mark’s Episcopal Day School
- Parent Ambassador, 2017 – present
- Committee Chair, Parents’ Association, 2009-2011
- Homeroom Parent, 2009-2012
- Volunteer, 2007 – present
March of Dimes
- 2018 Signature Chefs Event Planning Committee
Hubbard House of Jacksonville
- Board of Directors, August 2012 – August 2014
Women’s Board of Wolfson Children’s Hospital
- Member, 2006 – present
- Committee Chair, Art & Antiques Show, 2003 – 2014
American Cancer Society
- Committee Chair, Cowford Ball, 2009 & 2010
National Society of Colonial Dames of America
- Member, 2009-present
- Prepare and negotiate purchase and sale agreements for acquisition and divestment of raw land and improved commercial property.
- Prepare deeds, bills of sale, escrow agreements, affidavits, financing statements, and other documents necessary to close commercial real estate transactions.
- Work with real estate clients throughout due diligence process to assess project feasibility from title, environmental, financial, and business perspectives.
- Negotiate claims under title insurance policies.
- Represent commercial landlords and tenants in negotiating lease agreements.
- Negotiate loan work-out agreement for distressed extended-stay hotel.
- Prepare loan agreements, promissory notes, financing statements, mortgages, and personal guarantees.
- Work with lender’s special asset division to negotiate purchase of distressed single-family development from bank.
- Create property owners’ associations, including articles of incorporation, bylaws, rules and regulations.
- Prepare filings creating new condominiums and condominium conversions with Florida Division of Condominiums, Timeshares, and Mobile Homes
- Advise property owners’ association on enforcement of covenants and restrictions and collection of assessments.
- Work with St. Johns Riverwater Management District and Army Corps of Engineers to obtain approval for property owners’ associations to maintain project permits.
- Work with real estate developers to turn control of property owners association over to homeowners.
- Advise business owners regarding real estate issues in asset sale transactions.
PRIOR RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE A SIMILAR OUTCOME